Health Care Requirements and Forms for Foster Children


When a child comes into care in your home, you will need to complete a Child Health and Disability Prevention (CHDP) exam within 30 days of the child living in your home. See below for more details on how to get this done.

What you need to know

Children coming into care of the Child Welfare System (CWS) are at risk for unrecognized and untreated medical, dental, developmental and mental health problems. As youth with these special health care needs, children and adolescents in out-of-home placement require more frequent monitoring of their health status.

Health and Educational Passport (HEP)
All available medical records, assessments and histories are documented in the child’s Health and Educational Passport (HEP) and you will be given a copy. This is part of the child’s permanent medical record and should be taken to all visits pertaining to the child. If providers need a copy, they may make a copy or obtain one from the Children’s Services public health nurse, but you should always maintain a current copy of the HEP for your records and use. You can request an updated HEP from your Children’s Services public health nurse.

Child Health and Disability Prevention (CHDP)
You are required by the State of California to schedule a Child Health and Disability Prevention (CHDP) programexam for well-child physical exams. A CHDP examination is a thorough medical examination usually performed by a CHDP health care provider. Every child in out-of-home placement is assigned a Children’s Services public health nurse. If you do not know where to take the child for a routine physical/dental exam, need assistance in scheduling an exam, or have any questions, contact your assigned Children’s Services public health nurse at (530)229-8080.

Every child needs a medical and dental exam within 30 days of placement and thereafter, according to Bright Futures Periodicity. Bright Futures provides guidelines for all preventative care screenings and well-child visits. Please note: Dental exams begin at one year old and or when the first tooth erupts are required yearly with cleanings required every six months.

Additional Health Resources
Help Me Grow is an online resource to connect parents and caregivers to developmental, behavior and learning programs and services in Shasta County for their children. Visit or call 2-1-1 and ask to speak with a Help Me Grow Specialist.